I'll Never Be Able to Publish This Gross LIttle Poem Now, So Here...

I got a research fellowship and so I moved back to New York in 2018. The gig was for a year, but it felt right; I'd wanted to go back to New York. I thought I would be as blissful as I was when I lived there in the early otts. 

But I found it very stressful. Not just the getting around, though that too, but suddenly I found myself being very intolerant, in fact - grossed out by (of all things) dirt and germs. It was strange because this is not my particular brand of OCDishness. I like beets. I repot plants with bare hands. I sit in the grass. I can. handle the earth! 

But this time being there. Everything smelled strong. Everything felt dirty. I found myself washing my hands a lot and taking off all my clothes when I got in the house. I used things to press elevator buttons. I got picky about restrooms. I was kind of overwhelmed by the tactile aspect. 

And of course, when the universe sees you being squeamish like that - she will fuck with you. So I found myself tripping in vomit, stepping in dogshit, men next to me on the train would drop their sweaty hairy legs onto mine. Women sneezed on me. One time I came out to my car and found this...


...yeah that's blood. 

Another time, rats moved into the engine. This is their bathroom. 


...which was actually not far from their kitchen. 


Anyway, New York was very visceral this time around. So I wrote this poem. This was December of 2018. It's completely unviable as a poem now, for obvious pandemic reasons. So I'll post it here. It's interesting though, I think it's one of the reasons I was vying to get out of dodge so quickly. I just felt...slimed on. 

So...odd.


I belittle the germ 

 

Because of the dirt, the soles, the steady dragging in. 

I belittle the germ. Hack it off at the neck. Stand in dominion 

and devalue. Ward off. Send away. Look at all this leak, the spit 

the bowel under nail, the way we kiss each cheek and absorb 

one another’s wayward downwind of mouth. Wipe it off, then 

swipe it into cloth and fabric. Relax and catch it. Can see it 

coming in the soggy air. Hocking up. Taking aim. Dogs 

 

with them, doing it everywhere. Too much to pickup 

and rub it into glove and drag it down guardrails and pull 

it down into knots holding on to the strap, the pole, they 

 

are coming in shells. All bundle of them, faces open at orifice 

clothes full of the shit, throats ready to factory, eyes leaking engorged 

they are moving in quicker and smiling about it. All happy to shake 

hands and touch hair and stand so close, meanwhile you can see 

the pores summoning fluid. I am walking toward them, hair 

 

falling out. Trouble in breath, thighs flaking off. We are at 

a standstill, bruised at the stitching, deep wave fungus climbing 

from the cracked cement into the skin between our feet. 

 

Our feet are always in motion like this. Always in step.   

 

Comments